According to the Co-op Funeralcare, traditional hymns are no longer being regularly requested at funerals as new research reveals not a single Hymn made this year’s top 10 most popular list.
The Lord Is My Shepherd, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and Abide With Me all featured on the list back in 2016.
However, for 2019 all three were replaced with modern-day pop songs like Ed Sheeran’s Supermarket Flowers and You Raise Me Up by Westlife which both made their debut.
The top three funeral songs this year have remained in the same spot since 2016, with ‘My Way’ by Frank Sinatra at number 1, followed by ‘Time to Say Goodbye’ by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman, and Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy.
We’re always encouraging people to be more open about their funeral wishes, making it clear to their loved ones what they would want for themselves.
What’s your favourite?
1. My Way – Frank Sinatra (non-mover)
2. Time To Say Goodbye – Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman (non-mover)
3. Over The Rainbow – Eva Cassidy (non-mover)
4. Wind Beneath My Wings – Bette Midler (non-mover)
5. Angels – Robbie Williams (re-entry)
6. Supermarket Flowers – Ed Sheeran (new entry)
7. Unforgettable – Nat King Cole (up three places)
8. You Raise Me Up – Westlife (new entry)
9. We’ll Meet Again – Vera Lynn (down three places)
10. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life – Eric Idle, from Monty Python’s ‘Life of Brian’ (down two places).